I remember when I used to have zero interactions on my Twitter account and I simply couldn't understand why. I mean, I also shared interesting and useful content, just like all those famous bloggers I followed, so why didn't I have the traffic too?
It was pretty d*mn frustrating!
I started to get so tired of not being noticed while I worked as hard and well as the others that I had considered many times to simply give up. It was that bad. But obviously I didn't give up!
With a few changes to my game, my Twitter traffic started growing and my stuff started being shared as well!
Now, I'm going to tell you how to grow your own Twitter traffic!
The formula is simple:
post shareable content + find your niche/audience + connect = followers, retweets, traffic!
Let's get started!
1. Design an Awesome Profile
- Keep your bio short and relevant. You only have 160 characters to tell people what you're all about. Use keywords to make it easier to find you through Twitter's search, but don't forget to add some personality too!
- Use a recognizable profile picture. Some people opt for a logo, others go for headshots. I don't really have a favorite; sometimes I use my own picture, sometimes I use my blog's logo.
- Add your site. If you want more traffic, you have to add your site's URL!
- Use a custom header. Twitter's new header template gives you a chance to express your creativity so don't waste this chance and get to work! You can use Photoshop to create your own header.
Make sure your header matches your profile. Consistency above all! Don't forget to catch your visitors' attention with a call-to-action and other catchy elements.
2. Tweet Strategically
Knowing how to tweet effectively should be your main concern when it comes to boost your traffic. Here's a visual example of how your tweets should look like if you want people to engage (especially for your blog posts).
- Use images. Boost your retweets by 35% by pairing attention-grabbing images to your posts.
- Use relevant #hashtags. Tweets with hashtags get 2x more engagement than those without them. Make sure you don't use more than 2 hashtags per tweet, though.
- Keep your tweets short. Short tweets get 17% more engagement than longer ones.
- Use URL shorteners. Some people like to add comments on their retweets. Leave room for it by shortening your URLs. I personally use Bit.ly.
- Be active. Keep posting awesome tweets that your audience will love throughout the day.
- Repeat your tweets. People tweet a lot so they may not see your tweet the first time you post it. This makes repeating your tweets completely ok! Leave some days between repetitions though.
- Don't spam. Try not to over-tweet! It annoys people and leads them to unfollow you. Tweet every 15-30 minutes.
- Pin your best tweet. Pick your best tweet and pin it to the top of your profile.
- Be yourself. Add your opinion to your tweets.
- Tweet at the right times. As yourself, people are mostly online at certain times of the day. Evaluate your followers' activity and set the best time to tweet, especially your blog posts!
- Vary. Don't tweet always the same stuff. You can tweet quotes, gifs, videos, etc. Keep your followers entertained instead of only giving them what you want them to see.
3. Don't Be a Robot
Make sure people know you're actually human and not an automated machine posting tweets to your profile. Show them that you care for your audience!
- Respond to people who share your content or interact with you. Tip: You can create a list of people who use to share your content so you don't forget about them!
- Interact with those you admire and share their content too! You can also send them something nice telling them why you love them and why you like their work.
- Retweet. Don't let the chance of sharing something useful and interesting slip, even if the content is not yours!
- Avoid auto-DMs. These are the most annoying things on Twitter. Don't step in the bangwagon or you'll lose admirers! People simply hate it, and so does Twitter!
4. Connect With The Pros
What better way of getting noticed than connecting with those who people look upon the most? Connecting with the top influencers of your niche is by far the best way you have to get your traffic and credibility boosted! Unfortunately this may not be as easy to achieve as it sounds, but it's definitely worth the try! Here are some tips to get it done:
- Feature or mention them in one of your blog posts, and let them know about it!
- Don't be afraid to say Hi. Introduce yourself and start a conversation.
- Share their content until they notice you. You won't regret!
- Follow them, of course.
5. Follow and Follow Back
Following people in your industry will certainly get you more followers, since they tend to follow people who share their same interests.
Search and find people working in the same field as you and follow them. Interact with them, build relationships and share interesting things with each other. Sharing their content will give you an extra chance of earning a new follower for life, and give you inspiration for new content for yourself!
6. Add a Follow Button or Twitter Widget
Add a Twitter follow button to your site. You can choose the place to have it, but make sure it's visible so people can follow you!
You can get your follow button here or build a Twitter widget with a follow button.
7. Use Twitter Share Button
Let your readers share your content by adding a share button from Twitter. Usually these buttons are located at the bottom, top or side of your posts.
- Get the share button here.
8. Include Your Twitter Username on Share Buttons
Make sure your username is included in the share buttons so that you're able to thank people whenever they share your content. It also earns you more followers, because people will know the post was written by you!
9. Share People's Content
If you want people to share your content, you have to share theirs too! It's a fair game and everybody wins.
They get their content shared by you, and as a return they will share yours as well, giving YOU more traffic! Plus it's also a way to interact with people and catch some ideas yourself for future articles. It's all wins!
Whenever someone shares my posts, I always check them out right away to see what they're all about, and sometimes share their stuff too if it's interesting! What are you waiting for?
Most famous bloggers have done something like this at some point of their lives and they can't deny that it was one of the main reasons as to why people started noticing them more.
Don't you just love to get free stuff? Don't you love to have some fun in contests and see what it turns out to be? Well, I'm almost sure your answer was YES to both questions, so why not try it yourself?
Create a contest or post some freebies in your blog, or even in your Twitter account! Spread the word about it and sit back. The new followers and readers will arrive instantly!
If you do all this, you're on your way to get THOUSANDS of new followers and see your content spread widely. People will look up to you and see someone they can trust! You'll be admired and sought after.
It's all a "give and get back" thing, though. Share someone's content, get your content shared by them. Be nice to someone, they'll be nice to you.